Bookshop by the Sea by Denise Hunter is a light ‘Christian’ romance set in a small town. A second chance trope revolving around Sophie Lawson and Aiden Maddox. It is a predictable and hopeful read.
The story starts with the wedding of Jenna, Sophie’s little sister with Grant, Aiden’s best friend. Sophie and Aiden have a history of love and a painful breakup. And yet seeing him after seven years, Sophie realizes she still has feelings for him.
Sophie has had a tough life. Her mother’s ill health forces her to drop out of school. She becomes the care-giver not only to her mother, but even to her siblings after their Dad abandons them. It is only after the death of her mother; Sophie works on her dream of owing a bookshop.
Circumstances bring Sophie and Aiden together again, kindling sparks and igniting passion. But there are obstacles the duo has to cross before they can be together.
What I liked
- The cover–yes, it’s absolutely gorgeous! I fell in love with the cover at first sight.
- I like stories based on books/ bookshops
- The setting and the descriptions are well written. After reading this, I too wish to own a bookshop by the sea!
What did not work for me
- Sophie’s characterization as a family pleaser, going out of the way to take care of her family, bordered on unrealistic.
- The reason for Sophie’s anger towards Aiden after their first break up was slightly kiddish. I understand it upset her he chose his passion over her, but somehow it didn’t come out as a strong enough reason to hold a grudge for seven years.
- It had little content to keep me glued.
- Too many minor characters to keep track of.
- The chemistry between the principal characters is a little dull.
Perfect book if you are looking for a breezy light romance. It’s a sweet romance, unfortunately too sweet for my tastes!
I received a free ARC eBook from Net Galley and the publisher in exchange for my honest opinions.
Wordsopedia rating 3/5
|Title: Bookshop by the Sea||Author: Denise Hunter|
|Publisher: Thomas Nelson||Publication date: April 13, 2021|
|Genre: Fiction – Romance||Format: Paperback|
|ISBN: 9780785240471||No. of Pages: 336|
Buy your copy here at Amazon
About the Author
Denise Hunter is the internationally published bestselling author of more than 35 novels, three of which have been made into Hallmark movies. She has appeared on The 700 club and won awards such as The Holt Medallion Award, The Carol Award, The Reader’s Choice Award, The Foreword Book of the Year Award, and is a RITA finalist.
Denise writes heartwarming, small-town love stories, peopled with layered characters who struggle with real-life issues. Her readers enjoy the experience of falling in love vicariously through her characters and can expect a happily-ever-after sigh as they close the pages of her books.
Get in touch with the author on her Facebook page.